Tuesday 11 November 2008

Meanwhile, out in the real world...

Yesterday we were fortunate enough to meet Dave Pannell and Craig Burgess, who talked to us about Dave’s company The Design Mechanics. It was really interesting to hear how Dave handles design as a business, and he stressed the importance of remembering to treat it as such. I felt this was a really important point because at the end of the day it is a business just like any other, and simply being creative isn’t enough.

It also gave me an idea of the kind of timescales you have to work in, something which it sounds like we’ll be getting a lot of experience on in the upcoming weeks.

Interesting as well was how the recession is affecting the business, and how they are dealing with it. I thought they would be struggling so I was surprised to hear that they are actually swamped with work, though from the talk I can now see why.

Another highlight for me was Dave’s experience of running a business. I have given some thought to eventually starting my own business, though I was planning on working for a company first and saving up. However, after hearing the problems Dave has had in the past I may well just stick to working for a company.

I think I will really benefit from what was said about handling clients too, especially when I actually get out into the working world. Craig’s advice about finding freelance work and starting to make a name for yourself whilst studying was also really helpful.

Looking at some examples of the kind of design work produced was also interesting and inspirational.

Overall I really enjoyed the talk, and would certainly be interested in working for Dave after this course. So to finish I’d just like to say thanks again guys.

No comments: